Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Instrument Inventions

After learning about the Instruments of the Orchestra, the 2nd grade classes used some imagination to design a brand new instrument!  The students used the movie, Animusic, as their inspiration.  Animusic is a movie comprised of various "music videos" using computer-generated instruments.  The students are fascinated by how they look real even though they are digitally created.  Here are some of their favorite clips:



The students worked with partners to combine their ideas and sketch out their instrument.  Afterward, they wrote a story, letter, or advertisement telling about their product.  Check out their creative projects:






4 comments:

  1. These are really nice! How long did your classes take to finish this project? I am going to use this when my principal and I have a discussion about why videos ARE appropriate in music class! I think he would get this visual example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) We did this activity after a 4-week unit on the Instruments of the Orchestra (one week per family). After we finished learning about the instruments, I showed the students 3 video clips from Animusic. Then I explained the assignment and showed them some examples from the previous year's group. The first day they mainly focus on sketching out their instrument and the the second day they focus mostly on writing their story. Once they've shown me their rough draft, we go over any additions or changes they need to make, and then they work on their final draft. Most classes only need 2 class periods but some of them need a 3rd. It just depends on the group. :)

      If used appropriately, I think videos can become a fabulous illustration of the concepts we are teaching in music. Just as an art teacher shows pictures of famous paintings, we can show examples of performing groups that we couldn't otherwise re-create in our classroom. For example, if you are teaching about Native American music, you can show authentic tribe performances and the music can really come alive for the students much more than if you just discussed the topic or played a sound clip. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  2. Do your students work independently or do they work in groups? What a great idea - I'm always being asked why I don't have student work on the bulletin board and this might do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,
      I have my students work in pairs for this activity. It encourages collaboration while also saving on supplies! ;) I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete